When you're pressed for time, here's one guide to enjoying the attractions of the Sydney city centre. Stay as long or as quickly as you can at each step with the aim of completing the tour in a day and part of the night.
Time Required: 14 hours
- Start at the Sydney Opera House.
- Walk through East Circular Quay to the train/ferry terminal at Circular Quay.
- Proceed north to The Rocks district, passing by the Museum of Contemporary Art if desired.
- Visit the Sydney Visitor Centre for maps and guidance and enjoy your time at The Rocks.
- Backtrack to Circular Quay and proceed east to the Royal Botanic Gardens.
- Continue through The Domain to the Art Gallery of New South Wales.
- Lunch stop at the Gallery or proceed west to St Mary's Cathedral, Hyde Park, and Sydney War Memorial.
- Browse through cental Sydney shops on Elizabeth, Castlereagh, Pitt or George Streets.
- At Sydney Tower, 100 Market St, you may want to go up to the observation deck for panoramic views of the city.
- Proceed to Chinatown around Dixon St. Lunch stop if desired.
- Proceed to Darling Harbour passing by the Sydney Entertainment Centre.
- Take the monorail for an overview of Darling Harbour.
- Explore Darling Harbour.
- Have dinner, catch a movie at George St, a performance at the Sydney Entertainment Centre, or spend time at your leisure.
- Call it a day (and night).
- Take your time exploring the Sydney city centre. Rushing detracts from enjoyment.
- There are a variety of restaurants and coffee shops around to break your tour.
- There is a good train, bus and taxi service if you prefer not to walk.