Right in the heart of the city, the 1133-seat Theatre Royal is located on King St between Pitt St and Castlereagh St.
The Theatre Royal at its present location in the Harry Seidler-designed MLC Centre opened in 1976. The MLC Centre is located along Pitt St between King St and Martin Place.
A bit of background
The first Theatre Royal in Sydney was built in 1827 on the site now occupied by Dymocks book store at 428 George St. The theatre was located behind the Royal Hotel.
In 1840 the Theatre Royal burnt to the ground. The name Theatre Royal then went into disuse until 1875 when a new Theatre Royal opened in Sydney on the spot where the current Theatre Royal now stands.
Premier Sydney theatre
Particularly before the refurbishment and reopening of the Capitol Theatre in the 1990s, the Theatre Royal was the premier Sydney theatre for mainstream stage musicals including those of Andrew Lloyd Webber and revivals and restagings of Rodgers and Hammerstein musical classics.
While this premier position is now disputed by the Capitol with its nearly double capacity of 2000 seats, the Theatre Royal continues to fill a staging need for a seating capacity between the Capitol's 2000 and the Sydney Opera House Drama Theatre's 544 seats. The new Sydney Theatre at Walsh Bay has seating for 850.
For those wishing to drive to the theatre, an independently-operated underground parking station serviced by lifts to the Theatre Royal is an added advantage. Parking charges apply.
The theatre is close to the Martin Place railway station and within walking distance of Wynyard and Town Hall stations.
There are bus stops close to the Theatre Royal along Castlereagh St, Pitt St and George St.
Restaurants in the MLC Centre and along nearby streets cater for the theatre crowd.